LimeWire was held accountable for the following:
1. Their awareness of substantial infringement by users.
2. Their efforts to attract infringing users.
3. Their efforts to enable and assist users to commit said infringment.
4. Their dependence on infringing use for the success of their business.
5. Their failure to mitigate infringing activities.
Basically, their getting in trouble for allowing users to download music illegally and turning the other cheek, acting like they don't know.
The RIAA is hoping to scare other companies into cracking down on infringing users.
-Samantha Corrie Schulman